THE LIGHT AND QUIET A LOT

Paul Klee The light and quite a lot 1931

Happy Birthday NGravity!

Buon Compleanno NGravity!

Advertisements

THE Delivery of the keys: THE PLAN OF SALVATION IN THE SISTINE CHAPEL

Perugino,_consegna_delle_chiavi_01

The plan of salvation, the journey from the dawn of time through the Old and New Testament to the Day of Judgment, the outbreak of images, the esoteric symbolism, the rigorous ideological intent, are just some pieces of the large puzzle which is the Sistine Chapel.
As often it has been said, the decoration visible today, is the result of three different phases.
The first one between 1481 and 1482 by a team of painters that included Sandro Botticelli, Pietro Perugino, Pinturicchio, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Luca Signorelli, Piero di Cosimo, and others. The second one between 1508 and 1512 by Michelangelo. The third one, much later, by Buonarroti again (the Last Judgement was completed in 1541).
It is impossible not to mention a set of ten tapestries (1515-19) designed by Raphael, on completion of the frescoes, originally hung around the lower tier of the walls, and now in the Vatican Pinacoteca.
Thanks to scholars such as Eugenio Battisti and Maurizio Calvesi, who analyzed the complicated relationships among the frescoes, the Sistine Chapel can be read as an elaborate theological and political manifesto. An illustrated treatise conceived by Pope Sixtus IV personally, a Franciscan prelate yearning for becoming a modern Solomon, who adorned Rome with sober buildings although monumental, as evidenced by his Sisto footbridge, the Basilica of San Vitale and the Sistine Chapel itself.
According to this interpretation, for the Sistine Chapel construction, the Pope would had assumed the same relationship between proportions and hall space-partitions of the ancient Solomon’s Temple.
In this way, he meant to allude the unforgettable XIII century doctrine, a reference model of the Christian Church and its universalistic ambitions. In addition we find a reference to the Kabbalistic symbolism, widely present in the Sistine Chapel, an esoteric method meant to explain the relationship between eternal Ein Sof (no end) and the mortal elements (his creation), i.e. the underlying sense of the Universe.

The number eight, traditionally a symbol of the Resurrection and consequently of the Eternal Life, offers a striking example. In St. Augustine of Ippo’s, St. Ambrose’s and Rabanus Maurus’ works (often mentioned by pope della Rovere) we find Kabbalistic numerology; Rabanus Maurus even goes so far as to study the correlation between the Christian cross and the octagon, an emblem of the world to come.

That is why, originally, the stories of Christ were eight, and the temple, painted by Perugino in the Delivery of the keys, the true ideological focus of pope’s program, is octagonal.

Therefore, the iconography of the decoration started as a propaganda focused on the primacy of Pope Sixtus IV on Solomon, of Christ on Moses, of the New Testament on the Old.

According to Calvesi, therefore, the reciprocal references between the stories of Christ and the life of Moses are justified by a compelling logic: “While the Old Testament is based on the law of fear, the New Testament on the law of love: this contraposition is connected with the dominant theme of the whole set, that opposes the Old Testament meant bloody in nature, to the New one, meant, on the contrary, to be spiritual and rich in symbols.”(1)
Such moral superiority is echoed in the above-mentioned Delivery of the keys.

About that, the art critic stated: “It is thanks to the forgiveness of Christ, and to his generous sacrifice that sinful human beings can redeem themselves and move from the Church Militant to the Church Triumphant and to the Resurrection, symbolized by the octagon in the background.

In fact, the triumphal arch of Constantine, repeated twice on both sides of the octagonal church, probably alludes to the Church in heaven, “triumphant” by definition, as already said, according to St. Augustine, resurrection plays a two-fold role: from sin to grace, and from the tomb to glory. But also the passage of the early Christianity, thanks to Constantine, from the clandestine activity to the glory of the official status, was assimilated by the Fathers of the Church to a “resurrection”. (2)

In other words, the temple painted in Delivery of the keys is an idealized building, probably a reinterpretation of the Lateran Baptistery (formerly attributed to Constantine himself under the name of bath of Chostantino), which refers both to the church on earth, embodied by Christ with his “ecclesia” (ἐκκλησία, “church” or “assembly”) of apostles, and to the one in heaven.

(1) Maurizio Calvesi, La Cappella Sistina e la sua decorazione da Perugino a Michelangelo, Lithos editrice, Roma 1997, p.65

(2) Ibidem p.66

 ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

LA CAPPELLA SISTINA: LA CONSEGNA DELLE CHIAVI, UN TASSELLO DEL MOSAICO DELLA SALVEZZA

Il progetto della salvezza, il viaggio dalla notte dei tempi attraverso il Vecchio e il Nuovo Testamento per approdare al Giorno del Giudizio, una selva di immagini, una simbologia esoterica, un preciso intento ideologico: sono solo alcune tessere dell’immenso mosaico che è la Cappella Sistina.

Come più volte ripetuto, la decorazione pittorica oggi visibile è il risultato di tre grandi interventi.

Il primo risalente al 1481 circa, ad opera di Sandro Botticelli, Pietro Perugino, Pinturicchio, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Luca Signorelli, Piero di Cosimo e altri. Il secondo ascrivibile agli anni 1508-12 per mano di Michelangelo. Il terzo, molto più tardo, sempre del Buonarroti (il Giudizio Universale fu completato nel 1541).

Impossibile non menzionare, la realizzazione di dieci arazzi (1515-19) su disegno di Raffaello, ideale completamento del ciclo, originariamente appesi nel registro inferiore della Cappella, e oggi conservati alla Pinacoteca Vaticana.

Grazie a studiosi come Eugenio Battisti e Maurizio Calvesi, che hanno analizzato le complicate interrelazioni tra le parti, la Sistina può essere letta come un complesso discorso di natura teologica e politica. Un trattato per immagini, dunque, elaborato da papa Sisto IV in persona, religioso francescano con smanie da novello Salomone, che adornò Roma con edifici sobri ma monumentali, come dimostrano il ponte Sisto, la Basilica di San Vitale e la Sistina stessa.

Secondo questa linea interpretativa, il papa, per la sua edificazione, avrebbe preso a modello, nei rapporti proporzionali e nella distribuzione degli spazi, l’antico Tempio di Salomone.

In questo modo, egli intendeva alludere a quello che, nella mai dimenticata dottrina del XIII secolo, rappresentava il modello della Chiesa cristiana stessa e le sue ambizioni universalistiche. A ciò si aggiungeva il riferimento al simbolismo cabalistico, largamente presente nella Sistina, veicolo atto ad elevare l’uomo dagli elementi inferiori a quelli superiori, attraverso la contemplazione e lo studio delle corrispondenze cosmiche.

Negli scritti di sant’Agostino, sant’Ambrogio, e Rabano Mauro, per non citare che alcuni autori largamente citati da papa della Rovere, numerosi sono i riferimenti al simbolismo cabalistico dei numeri

Valga per tutti l’esempio del numero otto: negli autori menzionati è simbolo della Resurrezione e quindi della Vita Eterna; Rabano Mauro si spinge addirittura a studiare la correlazione tra la croce e la forma ottagona come segno della palingenesi .

Non è un caso, allora, che, originariamente, fossero otto le storie di Cristo e che ottagonale sia il tempio dipinto dal Perugino nella Consegna delle chiavi, vero fulcro ideologico dell’insieme. Da notare, a tal proposito, anche il portico d’accesso al tempio stesso che descrive una croce.

Pertanto, il dettato iconografico dell’intera decorazione partiva con un intento didascalico imperniato, pur nell’ambito di un parallelismo, sulla superiorità del papa Sisto IV su Salomone, di Cristo su Mosè, del Nuovo Testamento sul Vecchio.

Secondo Calvesi, quindi, i rimandi reciproci tra le storie di Cristo e la vita di Mosè sono giustificati da una logica stringente: “Dunque l’Antico Testamento è legge del timore, il Nuovo Testamento è la legge dell’amore: questa contrapposizione si raccorda al tema dominante dell’intero ciclo, che oppone al carattere cruento dell’Antico Testamento quello spirituale e simbolico del Nuovo”. (1)

Questa superiorità è ribadita nella già menzionata Consegna delle chiavi, di cui lo studioso dice:“È proprio grazie al perdono di Cristo, e al suo generoso sacrificio, che l’umanità peccatrice può redimersi e trapassare, dalla Chiesa militante, alla Chiesa trionfante e della Resurrezione, che l’ottagono nello sfondo simbolizza. E in effetti, l’arco trionfale di Costantino, ripetuto due volte a fianco della Chiesa ottagonale, allude probabilmente alla natura “trionfante” della Chiesa celeste, come abbiamo già detto: secondo Sant’Agostino la resurrezione è duplice, dal peccato alla Grazia, e dal sepolcro alla gloria. Ma anche il passaggio della Chiesa delle origini, dal buio della clandestinità alla gloria dell’ufficialità, veniva assimilato dai padri della Chiesa ad una “resurrezione”, e questo passaggio fu merito di Costantino”. (2)

In altre parole, il tempio della Consegna della chiavi è un edificio idealizzato, probabilmente la rivisitazione del Battistero lateranense a Roma (anticamente attribuito allo stesso Costantino col nome di bagno di Chostantino) che fa riferimento sia alla chiesa terrena, incarnata da Cristo con la sua “ecclesia” di apostoli, sia a quella celeste della resurrezione.

Maurizio Calvesi, La Cappella Sistina e la sua decorazione da Perugino a Michelangelo, Lithos editrice, Roma 1997, p.65

Ibidem p.66

THE MACRO MUSEUM, WHISPERS FROM THE PAST

Stefano Corso Macro_Roma

Following the quiet Via Reggio Emilia, in Rome, today, hardly a visitor could imagine bustles of carters full of bottles of beers, pulled by couples of sturdy horses, which have animated for many years that part of the town close to Porta Pia, at the beginning of the roman Nomentana-way. A closer glance at the top of the building elegant back-looking façade of the Macro (municipal Museum of Contemporary Art of Rome), shows a printed word: STABLES.                            The new Museum, built on the original structures of two buildings once stables and place  where to gather the beer to be shipped outside, body of the Peroni Brewery production  complex, in fact, was born to requalify and restore a valuable example of rare evidence of industrial archaeology, inside the urban settlement in town.                                                                                                      These buildings have been designed by the architect Gustavo Giovannoni, in 1912.                                                                                                                                       As specified, this complex represents one of the most important example of industrial  archaeology in Rome, being a rare testimony of a unique technology of plants and machinery once used in the production process, (by now, not in the place), in addition to the peculiarities of the buildings.                                          Two elements are to be identified in our considerations: the industrial aspect, which is close to our recent past, however technologically superseded by the fast-growing progresses achieved in the last century; then the recent requalification of the structure, which has been deeply changed, but still maintaining its full exterior aspects.                                                                                                                Far from being a representative palace located in a square, elegant environment, the architect Giovannoni’s choice appears to be in search of an equilibrium, different from the technical vision of a factory and its inhuman aspects, to avoid any reference that could have reminded turbulent claiming of the contemporary worker class of those days. The  proportional forms and the use of the decorations, bring to light the designer’s concept of the architectural and arts as public functions, since these aspects bring the ability to express common values about the vision of the work as a democratic benefit.                                          Under this point of view, the modification of the old productive settlement (made by archs. Antonio Simbolotti, Mauro Panunti, Francesco Stefanori) ended in 1999 gives way to some reflections. First of all, it represents the transformation of a typical industrial “non-place” into a cultural site, re-distributing the inner spaces, re-composing the new unity left-right, introducing a two-storey glazed gallery connecting two buildings above & below, by using glass-windows metal framed, as well as the metal glass-cover, vaguely resembling to the original settlement. In addition, it is possible realize we’re in front of two phenomenon, typically regarding the restoration and the requalification of industrial archaeology buildings: the space instability, and the proliferating change of scales.                                                                                    Under this point of view, also last interventions have to be interpreted in this direction, as of great visual suggestion and remarkable level of quality. In 2004 the French Studio-Design Odile Decq-Benoit Cornette undertook the realization of Gallery extension, using the rear-side of the ex-storage area, where at present there are still the external façades of via Cagliari and via Nizza.  The French architects have been capable to realize, in 2010, this enlargement as to re-define the forms and the functions.                                                                                          The new construction is built on a three-storey level. At the ground level, it is foreseen the bookshop, the Info-point, an exhibition hall and a conference room; at the first floor experimental labs and a spacious exhibition area; at the second floor the restaurant and a “urban garden”. The access to these new environments is granted by an external staircase and a number of elevators, inside the structure. The spaces are opened, privileging dynamic, labyrinthine perspectives, always under tension. It is significant such solution, from the moment it has been decided to open an entrance at the opposite dead-end, that is the corner between via Cagliari and via Nizza, intentionally destined to promote new animation in a usually-deserted area. What is the sense of this kind of intervention? In the expression “Industrial Archaeology”, that defines the ex-Peroni factory, there are concentrated different meanings with references to a civilization belonging to the past remote and a more recent past regarding the decline of industrialization, owing to the recent great changes of the Western Civilization.                                                                                                          “Somehow, that Piece of Work tells about its times, but it does not explain it to us  exhaustively. Those ones who look at the same Piece of Work today, beyond their education and knowledge, would never look at it in the same way it was seen by their ancestors. And this lack of ability, this wide gap, these difference of perception, are the elements that qualify the originality of the work as expressed today”.(1)

However, it is the actual inclusion that dynamically involves the old, representing one of the most interesting challenge of the contemporary architecture, which is continuously recalled to give a sense, and to give solutions to our relationship with the past.

(1) Marc Augé, Rovine e Macerie, Torino, Bollati Boringhieri, 2004, pp. 25-26

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

 IL MACRO, IL SOMMESSO MORMORIO DEL PASSATO

Percorrendo la tranquilla Via Reggio Emilia, a Roma, oggi, difficilmente un visitatore potrebbe immaginare il viavai di carretti, pieni di bottiglie di birra, trainati da coppie di cavalli, che per molti anni hanno animato quella parte della città vicino a Porta Pia, proprio all’inizio della via Nomentana.
Uno sguardo più ravvicinato alla parte superiore dell’elegante facciata secondaria della Galleria Macro (Arte Moderna e Contemporanea), mostra, incisa, una parola: SCUDERIE.
Il recente Museo, costruito sulle strutture originarie di due edifici del complesso Birreria Peroni, un tempo stalle e magazzini in cui preparare la birra per la spedizione, in realtà è nato per riqualificare e ripristinare un pregevole esempio nonché una rara testimonianza di archeologia industriale, all’interno dell’insediamento urbano.
Questi edifici sono stati progettati dall’architetto Gustavo Giovannoni, nel 1912.
Come specificato, questo complesso rappresenta uno dei più importanti esempi di archeologia industriale a Roma, in quanto, oltre alle peculiarità gli edifici, abbiamo una rara testimonianza di macchinari e impianti tecnologici, un tempo utilizzati nel processo di produzione (ormai non più presenti). Due fattori catturano la nostra attenzione: l’aspetto industriale, così prossimo al nostro passato recente, e tuttavia tecnologicamente superato da una rapida crescita progressiva, avvenuta nel secolo scorso; e poi la recente riqualificazione della struttura, che è stata profondamente modificata, mantenendo tuttavia, molti degli elementi esteriori originali.
Lungi dall’essere semplicemente un edificio di rappresentanza situato in una zona dall’aria elegante, la scelta di Gustavo Giovannoni sembra essere stata volta alla ricerca di un equilibrio, lontano dalla visione prettamente tecnica di una fabbrica e dei suoi aspetti disumani. Tutto ciò al fine di evitare qualsiasi riferimento che potesse ricordare la turbolenta questione della classe operaia, così sentita a quel tempo. Le proporzioni e l’uso delle decorazioni, evidenziano il concetto del progettista sulla funzione “pubblica” dell’architettura e dell’arte: nelle sue intenzioni, infatti, queste potevano esprimere nobili valori collettivi e una visione del lavoro come bene civile.
Sotto questo punto di vista, la modifica del vecchio insediamento produttivo, (realizzata dagli architetti Antonio Simbolotti, Mauro Panunti e Francesco Stefanori) conclusasi nel 1999, lascia lo spazio ad alcune riflessioni.
Prima di tutto, essa rappresenta la trasformazione di un tipico “non luogo”, realtà industriale in disuso, in un sito culturale arricchito dalla ridistribuzione degli spazi interni, re-inquadratura di una nuova unità sinistra-destra, con l’introduzione di una doppia galleria vetrata a collegare i due edifici originari sia sopra sia sotto. Si tratta di vetrate con telai di metallo, vagamente somiglianti alla composizione originale.
Siamo di fronte a due fenomeni, caratteristici di interventi che riguardano la riqualificazione e il ripristino di strutture di archeologia industriale: l’instabilità dello spazio, e il proliferare di cambiamenti di scala. Un’impostazione, questa, portata alle estreme conseguenze dall’ultimo e più radicale intervento progettuale e costruttivo.
Infatti, il contributo dello Studio Odile Decq-Benoit Cornette ha perseguito soluzioni di grande suggestione visiva ed elevata qualità. Dal 2004 il duo francese ha intrapreso la realizzazione dell’estensione della Galleria, concentrandosi sul lato posteriore della ex-zona di stoccaggio, mantenendo le facciate esterne di via Cagliari e via Nizza, ma introducendo, proprio sull’angolo, uno spettacolare ingresso al Museo.
Gli architetti francesi hanno progettato l’ampliamento ridefinendo le forme e le funzioni, organizzando la nuova costruzione su tre livelli.

Al piano terra troviamo il foyer, il bookshop, una serie di spazi e una sala conferenze,  al primo piano i laboratori sperimentali (collegati ai locali della vecchia fabbrica), una vasta area espositiva, al secondo il ristorante ed un giardino “urbano”. L’accesso a questi nuovi ambienti, è garantito da una scala esterna e da una serie di ascensori, all’interno della struttura.
Gli spazi sono aperti, privilegiando così prospettive dinamiche, quasi labirintiche, comunque in tensione, ed è significativa tale soluzione, tanto più che si è aperto l’ingresso principale sull’angolo via Cagliari/via Nizza, con l’intenzione di promuovere una maggiore vivacità in un punto solitamente deserto.
Qual è il senso di questo tipo di intervento?

Nell’espressione “Archeologia Industriale”, che definisce l’ex-fabbrica Peroni, sono concentrate serie di significati e riferimenti a una civiltà che appartiene sia al passato remoto sia ad un passato recente, tramontato con il declino dell’industrializzazione, visti i radicali cambiamenti delle grandi civiltà occidentali.

“In qualche modo, quell’opera racconta i propri tempi, ma non ce lo spiega a esaurientemente. Quelle che la contemplano oggi, quale che sia la loro erudizione, non avranno mai lo sguardo di chi la vide per la prima volta. È questa mancanza, questo vuoto, questo scarto fra la percezione scomparsa e la percezione attuale che l’opera originale esprime oggi. (…) La percezione di questo scarto è la percezione stessa del tempo, della subitanea e fragile realtà del tempo, cancellata in un batter d’occhio dall’erudizione e dal restauro (l’evidenza illusoria del passato) come dallo spettacolo e dall’aggiornamento (l’evidenza illusoria del presente)”.(1)

Tuttavia, è proprio l’inclusione attiva che coinvolge in modo dinamico il “vecchio”, a rappresentare una delle sfide più interessanti dell’architettura contemporanea, continuamente chiamata a dare un senso, e a trovare risposte sul nostro rapporto con il passato.

 (1) Marc Augé, Rovine e Macerie, Torino, Bollati Boringhieri, 2004, pp. 25-26;